Everyone is getting a bit fed up with politics at this point. I got this from my father-in-law today and thought I'd share it.
JOHN ODELL FOR PRESIDENT
Let me introduce myself. My name is John Odell.
I AM RUNNING AS A WRITE-IN CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.
Here is my speech:
My fellow citizens.
You are probably asking yourself, what is this guy trying to prove? Be honest you have about had it with Presidential candidates. Please hear me out. As Thomas Paine said a couple of hundred plus years ago, these are the times that try men’s souls and to quote what Howard Jarvis said, a few years ago in California, “I AM MAD [FRUSTRATED] AS HELL.” After the usual mud slinging and promises to just about everyone and for just about everything, there are now just two major candidates running for President of the United States and one of them will be our next leader. They are both politicians. We know nothing about the one. The other would probably do much to help in the war we are waging on terror, here and abroad, but he has other agenda items that are not in our best interest. Neither of them has expressed any real plan to get America out of the worst emergency we have ever been in. They are both concerned with what will be good for the party and how it will help in the current and future elections for themselves and their friends.
First let me say, I care nothing for parties. In fact, I think the divisiveness that the party system promotes is destroying our country. I believe that government, which is the people (that’s you and me, not the folks in Washington) through our elected representatives (Senators and Congressmen) should address issues of National importance and then get out of our individual lives. This is a far cry from what is happening today. Now many of you many have different ideas about what is the role of government, but I hope you will agree with me that things are in a mess. I cannot support either of the current candidates. They do not have the interests of the average, hard-working Americans at heart. They do not recognize that our America, which so many have died to protect from foreign enemies, is now in extreme danger of total collapse brought about by friendly fire. Those who have been placed in charge and those who soon will take over play politics as usual. We are in a crisis, and I see no hope of relief, if either of the candidates is elected, I am forthwith placing my name in this contest for President of the United States. I will be a candidate with a different point of view but I know it is a view shared by millions of folks just like me. PLEASE WRITE IN MY NAME AS YOU CAST YOUR BALLOT THIS NOVEMBER. Let’s send a real message to those in power and those who hope to be.
Here is my platform. It will be called the:
EMERGENCY AGENDA IN THE INTEREST OF ALL AMERICANS
1] ENERGY or (High Gas Prices). The President should immediately promote legislation to (1) rescind all restrictions on oil exploration, drilling, production and the building of refineries and (2) rescind all restrictions on the building of nuclear power facilities and the research into nuclear power and solar energy for the use of transportation vehicles. We are in a crisis of unprecedented proportions. We are not in danger from an enemy with guns and bullets and bombs. No one is storming our beaches or invading our cities. But the consequences to our nation may be greater than they were when German submarines were sinking ships in our harbors and along our coasts and when Japan was bombing our navy in Pearl Harbor. I ask this question, why should our great nation which has overcome such enemies in the past, now accept such a cowardly approach to our current dangers? We should be in a National Emergency status taking steps to correct the problem. Our nation should be mobilized to meet the threat and overcome it. We need to quit placing the blame on the oil companies and the Saudi’s and the greedy gas station owners and take charge of our own interests. Our elected leaders need to rescind and remove the barriers that stand in the way of developing our oil and gas supplies and our nuclear capabilities. We need to increase production of oil and gas as fast as humanly possible and we need to do it here in our own country. Quite recently a liberal congresswoman from California said the government ought to take over the oil industry in this country. I’m sure that would solve the problem! The government runs the post office. Have you checked the price of a stamp lately? Government has also been regulating our money supply. Government is the problem. They need to get out of the way and let the workers of America rescue and save America. Gas prices are high because of world demand and our need to buy foreign crude oil. We will have continually rising gas prices as long as we are dependent on foreign sources for our oil. WE MUST BECOME ENERGY INDEPENDENT. When implemented, this one thing alone would jump-start our economy and create employment for an untold number of people. It would also send a message to the oil producing countries that we Americans are in the competition for the long haul and that we will do whatever it takes to TAKE CARE OF OURSELVES. We do need alternative energy sources so we also need to build nuclear powered energy producing plants where ever it is feasible to do so. We have listened too long to the doomsday crowd. We need to lead the world in the research, development, and production of safe nuclear energy. We do have a clean solution to the energy demand. We just don’t use it. AGAIN A COMPARISON TO WWII is in order. We are in grave danger and no one is fixing the problem. Maybe we do need to ration gasoline. Maybe we need to drive less and ride bicycles and walk more. But we should be doing it because we are trying to heal America, not because we are being held hostage by foreign interests.
2] ISLAMIC TERRORISM. We have a war going on and our troops are in the trenches and on the line in Iraq. Wars can only be won by letting the military leaders lead, guide, and direct the effort in the best way they know how AND LETTING OUR MEN AND WOMEN IN UNIFORM, WIN. The rest of us must give them the resources and the support they need. When those in powerful positions in government send a message that we may leave the field of battle on a given date or cut back our troop strength by so much, we are telling the enemy that we don’t really support our troops or their commanders. It sends the message that we are willing to send our troops into a no-win war. That only helps the enemy. Americans need to stand up and be counted on this issue. This is not the time to shrink our duty but a time to strengthen our resolve. Our soldiers deserve the best. As part of this issue we need to make sure our soldiers are well paid, well trained, well equipped and well respected. For without them we have no defense against the terrorists or any other threatening foreign power. Those who speak out against the war in Iraq have spoken out against other wars at other times. They spoke out against our winning the war in Vietnam and we didn’t win that war. Never let that happen again. America is the guardian of freedom everywhere, whether she wants to be or not. And we have the best military forces and the best military equipment in the world. Our role is much the same as it was in WWII. We protect our friends and the oppressed and in doing so we protect ourselves. It is good to be the GUARDIAN OF FREEDOM.
3] FAIR TAX. Oh no, not the fair tax. We have a tremendous problem with increasingly high taxation, with a Social Security program that will soon be on the ropes, and with all the other welfare related programs costing more and more. All of these related problems need immediate attention, but it isn’t going to happen because all the candidates and all the parties want it to be their plan and then they will have the credit for the solution. I have studied the fair tax proposal that currently is cubby-holed in Congress and it certainly looks promising. It seems to me that the fair tax proposal would be the place to begin. What other solution is anyone working on? Excessive taxation of the citizens can only work so long. When they can no longer give, then what? Most people would rather pay a fair tax that takes care of the major social issues and leaves out all the paper work. We could get the IRS out of our lives as well. Let’s get the Fair tax bill passed and in operation. As citizens we need to read it, understand it, and work with our congressmen to pass it. Health care is a major concern of a lot of Americans. A genuine effort needs to be made by a real cross-section of the citizens, health professionals, drug producers, etc. to hammer out a system that works and is fair and equitable. It should not be financed by a new tax and it should not be another government program. We can do it. We are Americans. We deserve more than warmed over socialized medicine. Government cannot solve this one either.
4] GLOBAL WARMING. I only bring this up because of the attention it attracts, which causes us to lose our focus on the much more serious issues outlined above. Global warming is an issue that has never been debated because one side has declared themselves the de facto winners. They do not want discussion or debate because they might lose. I personally think that even if it were found to be a threat, it is nowhere in the magnitude of the three issues already discussed. Let the scientists weigh in on the problem or lack of a problem. Let all speak. DO NOT pay anyone out of public funds to research it, speechify about it, or advocate for or against it. DRY UP THE CASH COW. It might surprise us to find out how some issues disappear when the money dries up. Above all there should be no Federal or State grants to anyone on this or any other environmental issue. The government should not be a lobbyist. There are a whole host of environmental issues. Oil drilling and oil production could increase those concerns. Refineries produce smoke as do many manufacturing processes. There was a time when our factories with their smoking chimneys were viewed as a source of pride and satisfaction, and a symbol of the prosperity of our people. It meant that our people were working and we were making our own stuff. Now a lot of people only see the smoke as pollution. Do we have pollution? Yes. But we also have thousands of talented people all over this great land that could and would solve these problems without putting our whole country on the skids. The EPA could become the Environmental Protection Agency (meaning research and the development of solutions to environmental problems) and not the Environmental Penalty Agency which it currently is. Would I drill for oil in our National Parks? OF COURSE NOT. Would I drill in most other places? The right answer is, of course. We are in a National Crisis. I would love to see drilling rigs and pipe lines and refineries all over the land if this was helping us become energy independent.
The free market will truly work if it is allowed too. Our current economic mess has been the result of government regulation and intervention, not an unregulated free market. The bailout will not work and more government fixing will only make the problem greater. Oversight means having laws in affect to control criminal activity and prosecuting those that violate those laws. If we are short on cash we might consider stopping all government handouts for whatever purpose for at least a year. Even the bailout includes “pork” that was not part of the plan.
These four issues are only a platform agenda. They need to be fleshed out by a president and his cabinet and Senators and Congressmen, working in unison, committed to solving the problems. These leaders can’t be worried about the next election or nothing will happen. They must be dedicated to saving America, because it really does need to be saved. If they continue as they have and don’t take care of these things, we will lose what the Founding Fathers gave us because we didn’t do anything. WE WILL LOSE AMERICA.
Now there are hundreds of other issues that could be addressed by government and usually are. That is one of the problems with government. They do not focus on what is truly important. When we have issues that are of Emergency status they need to be fixed before you move on to the other things. I think it is vitally important that we fix the things that are causing the collapse of the greatest country in the world, before we tackle all the pet projects of every politician in Washington. Who knows we might find that we can solve some of these other problems ourselves without government help.
Most of you reading this letter might be better qualified to be President of the United States. I have no qualifications except those that the Constitution says I must have. I am old enough and I am a citizen of this great country.
I didn’t graduate from college, I didn’t go to law school and they would have chased me out of town if I had tried to be a community organizer where I grew up. I have no campaign headquarters, no pollsters, no speech writers, and no organization. I believe that it is right and proper for any ordinary citizen to express themselves in any way they can. I have chosen this little message. DO NOT SEND MONEY. I can promise you that I will not be soliciting funds or distributing bumper stickers or putting up posters all over town. I have no signs to sell or give away nor am I going to send out mailers. If you must have a sign, make your own and put it in your yard. I can provide the message:
COMMON SENSE
WRITE IN
JOHN ODELL
FOR PRESIDENT.
FOR AMERICA
The internet is an amazing thing (even if Mr. Gore didn’t invent it). It would be interesting to see how much of an impact my little effort could make on the process. Please send my speech to as many folks as you wish to. You don’t have to agree with me. I know many of you won’t but some will. Some of my family members might not even vote for me. But before you push the delete button ask yourself these questions. ARE THESE REAL ISSUES AND ARE THEY OF CONCERN TO YOU? IS ANYONE TRYING TO FIX THE PROBLEM OR ARE THEY JUST RUNNING FOR OFFICE? IF THESE ISSUES ARE NOT ADDRESSED SOON AND FIXED, WHAT WILL THINGS BE LIKE TWENTY YEARS FROM NOW?
Having said all this, I seriously think that whoever is elected President of the United States should have an agenda along the lines that I have outlined. These huge problems are not going to go away by debate or about concern over who is going to get the credit. These problems are going to bring about the downfall of our great Republic.
President Reagan had a plaque on his desk that read, “There is no end to what can be accomplished if you don’t care who gets the credit.” He accomplished quite a lot. There is much more to be done.
I urge you to pass along my speech. It would be nice if it made an impact on the thinking of those that are in power. I have often thought that most politicians could benefit from a few hours in a small town country store or listening to the views of those who call in to the talk radio shows, or write the editors of their local papers. They could learn a lot by just listening to how real American Citizens view the issues.
A short biography: I am retired and belong on no boards. I have a modest retirement income and try to live accordingly. I would be considered a Reagan Conservative by some and I do consider President Reagan to be one of our greatest Presidents. I have worked hard all my life and paid my taxes along the way, like the rest of you. I have been involved in ranching, construction, law enforcement, and school maintenance over the years. I have no political debts and no union endorsements. My mother was a good woman. My father worked hard. They didn’t have much when they died but they were happy. I have a good wife, great kids and lots of grandkids, [unfortunately all the grandkids are too young to vote]. I go to church on Sunday and try to put in a little community service. I mow my grass and feed the birds and squirrels in the backyard. I LOVE AMERICA AND I AM PROUD TO BE AN AMERICAN.
Thanks for reading this, pass it along, and GOD BLESS AMERICA.
I AM RUNNING AS A WRITE-IN CANDIDATE FOR PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES.
Guilt with a side of Shame
10 years ago

No comments:
Post a Comment